SBHX Open Source Community Badge Project
After the Maker faire I was feeling inspired. On the long drive back home I was trying to think of an idea for a project that could span a large range of skill levels and abilities, and could be open for everyone to work on. I also wanted a project that would be useful for SBHX as well as most if not all other hackerspaces out there. The only thing that really seemed to fit in my mind is a smart badge.
The badge will be arduino based so there is a low entry barrier to tinker around with the code. We have tentatively selected some hardware but there is a fairly good chance the specs I lay out here will change. Tentatively our badge will include the following:
- ATMEGA644P running the arduino bootloader
- AT86RF230 for zigbee mesh networking, things like seeing who is at the space when you walk in the door, transferring images or text messages, etc.
- 2.04″ e-ink display with 172 x 72 resolution for low power display
- NFC for tagging in and out of machines, opening the door, and such
- a couple of buttons and LEDs for user input and feed back
More info will be posted below as we get our prototype under way. If you are interested in helping out with the project please let us know, we really want this to be a community project that everyone can help with.